Sunday, July 20, 2008

mastitis meltdown

Since Monday, Kent and I have been at the hospital. He has been going to work, home, etc. but I've been there all the time. Since I'm not a patient, we've been "bunking" in whatever empty room is available. Emerson is in the Special Care Nursery, and cannot leave, so I have to go to him. This means, during the day I am in the nursery with him, except for meals, which have been in our room or in the cafeteria, and at nights I'm in our room, but go to him about 3 times to nurse him. It has been a really hard 5 days, and has taken a toll on my own recovery.

Yesterday afternoon while at the hospital I suddenly came down with chills and a high fever. My midwife (Sena) came to check me, suspected I was developing a mastitis (blocked milk duct that becomes infected) and really insisted I go home and rest. Kent and my mom both agreed.

It was hard to think of leaving my new baby! I was heartbroken, and feeling horrible! But, I guess it was a good choice, as I am feeling MUCH better today after rest, fluids, lots of pumping, cabbage leaves, mastitis tincture, and - though I really hate it - motrin and antibiotics. But, with Emerson in the hospital, I felt I couldn't take a risk, and didn't want to prolong an infection.

Kent wins the amazing daddy award! He took my pumped milk up to the hospital at 11pm, and stayed all night with Emerson so he could feed him! I felt much better that Emerson had someone with him! Otherwise I don't think I could have rested last night.

I'm hoping to go back this afternoon, maybe staying overnight if I can get a room, but Kent is really wanting to get me to stay at home. Sena will be checking in on me soo, so We'll see what she says, and what we decide is best to do.

The positive side is, I've had a lot of snuggle time with Sofia, which she really needs right now. She has been great, but I know she wonders why mama isn't coming home.

1 comment:

Rylie Suzanna said...

Hang in there, momma! Here's hoping that next week is more peaceful and full of bonding time. Kent, you're an awesome dad, and Emerson is lucky to have you.

Sending lots of love,
LJ&R