Tuesday, August 26, 2008

mamas for obama

While Sofia was at school this morning, Emerson and I went to a "mamas for obama" rally at the Children's Museum, which was organized by a delegate from California. It was inspiring, and I am so hopeful for Obama to win this year! I truly think he is the change and the challenge that this country needs to resolve so many of our problems. The Republican party touts "family values", but Obama VALUES the family! (OK, enough from my soapbox!)

I bought a onesie for Emerson and a t-shirt for Sofia, that reads "My mama is for Obama!" We'll join in a march tomorrow afternoon organized by "MomsRising.org", which supports basically anything mom-child related (family leave act, equal pay for equal work, childcare, healthcare, etc.). When I showed Sofia her new shirt, she said, "I don't like it, take it back to the store!" I asked her why, and to my dismay she replied, "Because I don't want Barak Obama to win for you!" [SHOCK!!!] I chose not even to respond to that one!

On the ride home, she asked me, "Do you not want McCain to win?" and the big "Why?" I explained to her that if Obama wins, all children like her would be able to see a doctor when they are sick, and all children would be able to go to preschool. What else could I say to a curious three-year-old?

We loved watching Michelle Obama's speech yesterday, and are watching with anticipation Hillary's speech tonight. This election is the first one I've been excited about since I heard my mom and Grandpa discussing "Ron and Jimmy" in the kitchen when I was only two! It is even more so having the DNC here in Denver, literally 2 miles from our home!! Oh, I have such hopes for this election!

No comments: