Sofia had her first parent-teacher conference yesterday. The teachers, Ms. Jen and Ms. Rachael, came to our home, and she was so excited! Ms. Jen is the English teacher, and Ms. Rachael is the Spanish teacher. Sofia has equal time with both.
They brought a few "works" for us. Works are Montessori terminology for the learning activities they do in the classroom. These included working on recognizing and counting the numbers 1-5, recognizing, recalling and naming the shapes triangle, square, trapezoid, hexagon, and rhombus, and working on the starting sounds for the letters a, s, o, d, and h. Both Jen and Rachael commented on how "cute" and "smart" Sofia is! (Of course Kent and I knew that already, but it's so nice to hear it from the teachers!)
After demonstrating the works, Sofia got her book Cat Goes Fiddle-i-Fee by Paul Galdone, and said "I need to read this book to you." Then, she, with a little help to get started, read (or actually sang) the book to them! They thought she was great!
Of course, the proud mother in me wanted to say, "Oh, she can read Madeline verbatim, too!" but I resisted. Madeline (the original one) has been Sofia's favorite book lately, and she knows it inside and out! She reads it to Emerson while I take a bath in the evenings. Emerson loves it, too!
Oh, such joy!
Friday, October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yikes! How can Sofia be old enough for a parent teacher conference? We're glad to hear about what she is learning at school. I'm concerned that she may already knows more than I do!
Post a Comment