Sunday, December 14, 2008

speakin' spanish

The other night, as Kent was putting Sofia to bed, as is our routine these days, it came time for story time. Usually Kent will read two books to her. But, this time, Sofia kept telling him the book she wanted to read in her gibberish-Spanish. After three tries, Kent finally got frustrated, and told her when she could tell him in English, he would read the story. He left the room, and Sofia ran after him in tears! She came to me, and cried that daddy wouldn't read to her. I told her that she has to tell us the book in English, because we don't speak her Spanish. She said, "but you speak Spanish with me!" I told her yes, I speak some Spanish it is true, but not the kind of Spanish she is speaking (i.e. not the gibberish-Spanish!) She said, "but you have to ask Ms. Rachel (her teacher). I said, "I don't think even Ms. Rachael could help us with this one! Sofia, you've got to speak to some people only in English."

This is only one of the many incidents we have lately with Sofia telling us that we have to speak in Spanish now! It will be nice when her Spanish is really Spanish, so at least I'll understand her! She does say quite a bit in Spanish, but it is usually phrases here and there.

No comments: