Wednesday, July 23, 2008

babymoon begins!

Emerson was discharged from the hospital yesterday - on his due date - July 22nd! There was a huge sigh of relief in our home. We were all so happy to leave the hospital! He did come home on oxygen, but it is a very small amount. We will see our family doctor on Friday, and may have a better feel for the duration after that, but it sounds like it is really unpredictable, and each baby has their own way. Meconium is apparently very nasty stuff in the lungs. In the meantime, I will take Emerson to my much-loved chiropractor and see if she can help to stimulate his respiratory system to help him on his way!

It was a beautiful, yet hectic day, our first day at home. I felt a bit like a new mom all over again! I was changing his diaper on our bed, thinking I don't need a changing pad - I'll be quick! Well, I was putting on a cloth diaper, which is pretty bulky for a newborn and their little wiggly legs, and was just so out of practice, that it took a bit longer to get it on him, and he snuck one in - he peed on the bed! Ah well... life with a newborn!

Sofia is such a good big sister! She was on cloud 9 all morning as we prepared to bring Emerson home. She wanted to call everyone to tell them Emerson he was here!

She had a tough time in the afternoon, though (made worse by not getting a nap) and grumbled and grumbled. Of course I thought she and needed attention from me, so that's what I offered her, but she didn't want it. Finally, I put Emerson down for a minute and walked away, and she went right over to him! Then, she asked to hold him. Once she had him in her lap (on top of the boppy!) she immediately cheered up! She stroked him, sang to him, and just adored him! She wasn't jealous - she wanted to help her brother! She has held him many times since, and is so precious with him. I am so proud of her!

I am trying my best to stick to the bedrest recommended by my midwife. Sena asks that all of her clients snuggle up in bed with their babies for 7 days after birth. This is to assist healing as well as bonding. I didn't get those 7 days, so she suggested I try to take some of that time now. The problem is, I can't sit still when I'm not feeling bad! So, Emerson and I are snuggling up on the couch. But I am really trying hard to do the minimum work possible! In any case, Emerson is always with me, which is the point of the bedrest.

1 comment:

L and B said...

Hi Big Sister Sofia and Baby Emerson, Mama Kristen, Super Dad Kent, and Loving Nana Susan. These are great pictures. We loved reading your first-day-home story. Happy continued bonding. love, L&B