Sunday, August 24, 2008

Hi from Kent

You know, it's not that I don't want to post anything to the blog. It's just that...we're kind of busy. The typical week routine has me attending to Fia in the mornings as I get ready for work, with a handoff to Kristen at some point before I head out the door.

You might know, I switched jobs. This switching jobs is getting kind of old, but it is also common in IT. In any case, the first 2 weeks at the new company have gone well. Cachematrix has an interesting niche. It's a money market trading system for institutional investors. My manager described my job by saying "You own the database", so it will be what I make of it, within the structure of the culture and workload.

That's the 7:45 - 5:30 of each weekday, and then I'm home and again on some form of Fia duty. I walk in the door, I hear a big, happy "DADDY!!!!!" in about the sweetest, happiest voice you've ever heard. My heart melts every day, it's a highlight of each day.

Like raising any kids probably, Fia is always throwing us curveballs; she's teaching us a lot, all of the time! :-) She starts school tomorrow, and I'll be glad for her to get in a rhythm. Kristen did a lot of research to find out about this school, so we're excited.

But what I started to write is that Fia is such a wonderful little girl. Lately, if we're trying to give Fia some parental guidance, she'll say "But dad...that's not useful to my heart". And I'll have to say, "But Fia - walking on the coffee table is not useful to my heart" (an example from earlier today...). She's funny, and she sings and dances, and I just love her a ton.

Emerson (aka "big guy") is doing great. Fia, Emerson and I read Leo Lionni stories today, and Emerson was really listening and looking at the pictures. At 6 weeks, his eyes are just waking up to the world and are very, very big. He's lucky to have such a great mom, who does such a good job of taking good care of him.

We have the DNC going on this week, so it'll be interesting to see how that affects our days. I don't like politics, but I can see why folks have hope for Obama. He's a charismatic, very likable guy. Like anyone in a role of power like that, you hope for them to try to do what's right given very complex scenarios, and to demonstrate grace and composure under pressure.

Well, this has prattled on long enough. I wish everyone a good end of summer and start of fall, and I send to you our love from our family's little world here on Osceola Street.

2 comments:

Rylie Suzanna said...

Kent, you're an awesome dad and Fia knows it! Emerson knows it too, but he just doesn't know how to show it. It was great to hear about life on Osceola street from your perspective.

Lots of love,
Jade, Lyle, and Rylie

gram n said...

Loved the coffee table scenario!
She is so funny and smart - and I am being objective!